The waters of Glen Creek have sculptured an incredibly scenic gorge with high cliffs, fantastically carved potholes, sparkling pools, and marvelous waterfalls. It is named after Dr. Samuel Watkins, who came to this area in 1788. Morvalden Ells opened the glen to the public in 1863, after installing trails, stairways, and bridges. It became a state park in 1924, after being purchased by the State of New York in 1906.
The best way to view the waterfalls in the glen is to hike uphill, along the 1.5 mile long Gorge Trail, from the Main Entrance (sometimes called Lower Entrance) to the Upper Entrance. The trail has over 830 steps and ascends roughly 500 feet.